Chianti Classico gives green light to MGAs
Following the lead of Barolo and Barbaresco, the Chianti Classico Consortium has approved the use of the Menzioni Geografiche Aggiuntive (MGA), or additional geographical units.
The Consortium has chosen 11 MGAs based on criteria including the areas’ historical significance and common flavour profiles of the wines.
Named after some of the region’s best known villages, the MGA’s include Castellina, Castelnuovo Berardenga, Gaiole, Greve, Lamole, Montefioralle, Panzano, Radda, San Casciano, San Donato in Poggio (which includes Barberino Tavarnelle and Poggibonsi), and Vagliagli.
“The land makes a difference, this has always been one of our region’s mottos,” president of the Consortium Giovanni Manetti told Italian news outlet ANSA. “The Chianti Classico is a truly unique region and its wines reflect the diversity of sub-zones. It’s for this reason that it is so paramount to preserve its natural context and to communicate it to the consumer, in all its complexity, though the addition of MGAs on the label.”
The right to use MGAs on wine labels have only been granted to Chianti Classico’s premium wine, Gran Selezione, but it has not been ruled out that MGAs will be extended to the lower tiers – Chianti Classico and Chianti Classico Riserva – in future.
The consortium has also increased the minimum quantity of Sangiovese required in Gran Selezione blends, from 80% to 90%, and restricted the remaining 10% to indigenous varieties only. Chianti Classico and Chianti Classico Riserva are still able to be made with a minimum of 80% Sangiovese, blended with native and international red varieties.
Photography: Rowan Hueval/Unsplash